In order to facilitate tourist access to this heritage objective, Botosani County Council, in partnership with Coșula Monastery initiated the project “Rehabilitation and sustainable valorization of Coșula Monastery as heritage objective in Botosani County” that was submitted for funding under the Regional Operational Program 2007-2013, Priority 5 – Sustainable development and tourism, Area of intervention 5.1 – Restoration and sustainable valorization of cultural heritage and setting up / modernization of related infrastructure.
On 02/12/2014, the financing contract no. 4061 was signed between the Ministry of Regional Development and Public Administration through the North-East Regional Development Agency and the Partnership between Botosani County and “St. Nicholas” Coșula Monastery, the project implementation period being 23 months.
The total project value is 16,535,885.09 lei, non-reimbursable financial assistance requested from the European Union and the Romanian Government is 11,944,524.01 lei. The contribution of Botosani County Council, as Beneficiary of the financing is 1,435,667.86 lei.
The overall objective
The overall objective of the project is the rehabilitation and sustainable use of national treasures objective “Coșula Monastery” in Botosani county, in view of its inclusion in the cultural and religious tourist circuit, thereby increasing tourism potential and the attractiveness degree of Botosani County and North East region.
The specific project objectives are:
- Restore the objective of national heritage represented by “Coșula Monastery” consisting of “Sf. Nicholas” Church, Casa Egumenească, Xenodochium, Trapeza and Cuhniile, the Belfry Tower, The enclosure wall, in order to highlight its structurally, functionally and architecturally aspect.
- Arrange and rehabilitation of related infrastructure, namely the access and pedestrian road, the parking, to facilitate the access to the national monument “Coșula Monastery” in Botosani County.
- Build and equip the Coşula Monastery in order to include it within the cultural and religious tourism circuit and promoting the objective at county, regional and national level.
Project activities before the signing of the contract:
- Activity 1: Making DALI and Cost benefit analysis
- Activity 2: The execution project achievement
The project activities after the signing of the contract:
- Activity 1: Project management
- Activity 2: Restoration and rehabilitation of Coșula Monastery, equipment and facilities
- Activity 3: Publicity and information
- Activity 4: Monitoring and project evaluation
On medium and long term (over 3 years):
- Extra-regional tourists, consisting of youth and adults who practice unorganized tourism;
- Group and family travelers (cultural, ecclesiastical or leisure tourism in the region), organized groups of preschoolers, schoolchildren, students.`
On short-term (under 3 years):
- Intraregional tourists and excursionists (from neighboring counties of Suceava, Iași, Bacău,Vaslui, Neamț, which are part of the Northeast Region).
The number of people currently receiving services and estimated in the following years:
- Actual number of visitors to Coşula monastery / year – 1,000
- Number of visitors expected after rehabilitation / year – 2,000
The interventions achieved in the restoration / rehabilitation were:
Through the restoration project, it have been taken steps to closing the existing cracks, it was preserved the framing and the existing covering, a perimeter drainage was achieved for removing water from the slopes by foundation of the church, there were carried out operations to eliminate water and mold in the interior and exterior walls and waterproofing on the outside and underfloor. To restore the artistic components, a project of conservation-restoration of the wall, interior, exterior paintings and exterior parament (medieval) was conducted by a certified specialist.
rebuilt / restored almost completely, giving some of the original features as liturgical art museum and conference center, iconographic painting workshops, iconographic painting restoration. The proposed solutions for the rehabilitation of the building led to: rebuilding sections of the wall and opened vaults with traditional materials and respecting the thickness of walls and the original details, restoring the floors, balconies, parapets stairs, restoring links between the bricks in the walls that remained standing as part of the walls, raising insurance in accordance with seismic building site area, restore the roof structure, waterproof insulation measures, thermal rehabilitation measures, execution of totally new interior installations.
The building showed no visible degradation. However there were ground water seepage on the northern area. After stripping it recovered the binder between the stone masonry. It puts waterproofing protection on the ground floor and also waterproof protection through the horizontal areas of outside stone masonry. They restored wooden structural elements (stairs, treads access) to the bell chamber.
The precinct wall
Through the restoration project, the stability of elements was restored by working on sections. Slope drainage and waterproofing was ensured in order not to be seepage of water into the building material of the wall.
Trapeza and cuhniile
Through the restoration project were achieved: ensuring foundations, local drainage for removing the influence of wastewater of cellars buildings, restoring vaults, waterproofing contour of space cellars, achieving protection of waterproofing, space ventilation by restoring natural ventilation.
The solutions proposed for building rehabilitation led to: seismic compliance of the building restoring links between bricks as part of the walls, raising seismic insurance in accordance with building site area, rehabilitation of the roof structure, waterproof insulation measures.
Implementing this project will contribute to the preservation and proper storage of cultural and religious national heritage, will create a favorable environment for the development of relations with other monastic ensembles as meaning its reintroduction in the museum, ecumenical and tourism circuit and will result in the increase of tourism for Botosani county.
Investim în viitorul tău!
Proiect selectat în cadrul Programului Operațional Regional și cofinanțat de Uniunea europeană prin Fondul European de Dezvoltare Regională
Conţinutul acestui material nu reprezintă în mod obligatoriu poziţia oficială a Uniunii Europene sau a Guvernului României
Pentru informaţii detaliate despre celelalte programe cofinanţate de Uniunea Europeană, vă invităm să vizitaţi www.fonduri-ue.ro