Religious buildings in Botoșani County
- “ST. NICHOLAS” CHURCH POPĂUŢI founded by Stephen the Great (1496). The interior painting, of great value, dating from the fifteenth century, keeping it partially. The church was located in a strategic position, being the shield against many invasions of enemies. For this reason, solid walls and a watchtower have been added to the actual building of the monastery, which give it the appearance of a real fortress. Building facade is made of strips of glazed brick and colored ceramic discs, decorated with geometrical, faunistical and heraldic motifs. Currently, the old wall surrounding the monastery was rebuilt on the old foundation, this shrine regaining former greatness.
- “ST. NICHOLAS” REIGN CHURCH DOROHOI built by Stephen the Great (1495). It is built in Moldavian style and has a rich exterior decoration, filled with Byzantine elements.
- COŞULA MONASTERY, from the settlement with the same name. Built during the reign of Petru Rareș by treasurer Mateiaș Coşulvei (1532), it preserves original frescoes of great value (mural painting) made between 1537-1681. It is now listed as historical monuments of national interest and subject of a rehabilitation project and inclusion in the tourist circuit, submitted by Botoșani County Council within Axis 5.1. of the Regional Operational Program.
- “ST. MARIA” ARMENIAN CHURCH BOTOȘANI (1350) – the oldest church in Botoșani.
- “SF. GHEORGHE” CHURCH BOTOŞANI, founded by Elena Rareș, wife of Petru Rareș, dating from 1551.
- USPENIA CHURCH, founded in 1552 by Elena Doamna, with the interior painting completely rebuilt after 1989. In the church courtyard, the statue of national poet Mihai Eminescu majestically reigns; the poet was indeed baptized here.
- AGAFTON – CURTEŞTI MONASTERY (4 km southwest of Botoșani) dating from the sixteenth century.
- VORONA MONASTERY (today living nuns) is the most important monastery in the county, situated 15 km south – east of Botoșani. Its beginnings date back to around 1600, when some monks arrived from Russia built a small wooden church. In 1835, Archimandrite Raphael built in its place a wall church dedicated to “Virgin Birth”. Around the monastery there are two churches, a library with religious books dating from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries and accommodation for pilgrims. The monastery complex is situated on the edge of a beautiful forest with an area of 150 hectares.
- VORONA HERMITAGE – located 3 km southeast of Vorona monastery in the middle of a forest of oak, beech, elm and ash, is a monastery of monks. Hermitage church was built between 1830 – 1868 under the guidance of Abbot Raphael. The church here dedicated to the “Annunciation”, has a beautiful original painting and the iconostasis is a valuable work of art.
- GOROVEI MONASTERY – Văculeşti (1742). Between 1740-1742, two monks have lifted a wooden church on the place given by Ioan Gorovei; the church that remains until today was built between 1828-1834, by abbot Macarius Jora. The monastery was restored between 1984-1985.
- HERMITAGE FRUMUȘICA (BALŞ) – Storești, Frumuşica. It was founded by the nobleman Grigore Balș in 1776, but that year was set on fire, being the border between estates. The present church was built by Lascăr Sturdza and Evghenia Ursachi in 1819. Closed in 1870 by the nobleman Mavrocordat, it was scarcely reopened in 1945, for some time, since the communists closed it again in 1959. The church and hermitage are again pilgrimage place to parishioners after the fall of communism.
- “SF. ILIE” CHURCH – BOTOŞANI, has its beginnings in 1778 as the church of Furrier Guild, renowned among Botosani craftsmen. The belfry, of a remarkable value, deserves to serve as a model to all who would like to pick up new seats, according to the great historian Nicolae Iorga.
- ROMAN-CATHOLIC CHURCH “Birth of St. John the Baptist” – Botoșani, built in the mid nineteenth century in neo-gothic manner, is near the High School AT Laurian.
- LIPOVANS CHURCH – BOTOSANI. The current church building was built on the site of an old wooden chapel in 1853. It has beautiful icons of Russian origin, religious old books (written in Slavonic) and stylishly artistic jeweles. Besides this church operates a school where Lipovan children learn religion and Russian language.
Investim în viitorul tău!
Proiect selectat în cadrul Programului Operațional Regional și cofinanțat de Uniunea europeană prin Fondul European de Dezvoltare Regională
Conţinutul acestui material nu reprezintă în mod obligatoriu poziţia oficială a Uniunii Europene sau a Guvernului României
Pentru informaţii detaliate despre celelalte programe cofinanţate de Uniunea Europeană, vă invităm să vizitaţi www.fonduri-ue.ro