Located 20 km southeast of Botoșani and dating from 1535, Coşula Monastery welcomes pilgrims and visitors with the inscription, above the doorway. Even if not princely foundation, as we see that the builder is Mateiaş Coşolvei, the treasurer of Petru Rareș, Prince of Moldavia, Coșula Monastery is a classic example of medieval Moldavian architecture and place of peace of mind for many.
The monastery was an important cultural center, where it was made the first translation of Herodot in Romanian (sec. XVIII). The yellow color remains as a mystery in painting this monastery (if we have “the blue of Voroneț” and “the green of Suceviţa” the experts say that we also have “the yellow of Coșula”).
The sanctuary is built of stone and brick for windows and niches. Both inside and outside the church was covered with valuable paintings that still preserved traces. The original painting inside the church, performed in 1538, was partially covered with oil paintings dating from the nineteenth century.
Coşula monastery is perched on a spur of hill that penetrates to the heart of the village, towards the valley of the river Miletin. For almost five hundred years it guards and defends Christian spirituality of the place. The monastery was built in the troubled times of the ruler Petru Rareș at the expense of Mateiaş Coşulvei, the great treasurer of the ruler. When the cornerstone was laid, the area was wild, wooded, isolated from „Șleahul cel Mare al Moldovei”, which then do not pass by Coşula, the route being Iași-Cotnari-Hârlău-Dracșani. With time, Christians build their homes around the monastery and the village began to shape its own reputation.
The site of the Monastery is particularly valuable, located on a sloping ground of about 20%, making a statement in the amphitheater of the buildings from the south and the village access road to Coșula. Currently, that exposure is distorted by certain new architectural elements, namely the construction of new monastery cells, pilgrim’s house new form and dining hall. In the eastern part of the assembly, the site is extended by a park and a central alley which runs along a small school dating from the beginning and opens into the tower enclosure, in the southeast corner of the Monastery. That creates a romantic access to be highlighted.
Coșula Monastery had also turning moments. Perhaps, the most trying, was in 1775, when the Austrians occupied Bucovina and monks took refuge at Coșula too. But that did not escape from devastation of the Austrian troops on their way to Țara Românească. Facing with faith these moments, the monastery monks, in times of peace, were concerned about the prosperity of the settlement. Monastery lands were spread in several places. Like any place of faith, the monastery has its secrets and mysteries. But the biggest mystery remains a Romanian translation of an old history manuscript of Herodotus.
Investim în viitorul tău!
Proiect selectat în cadrul Programului Operațional Regional și cofinanțat de Uniunea europeană prin Fondul European de Dezvoltare Regională
Conţinutul acestui material nu reprezintă în mod obligatoriu poziţia oficială a Uniunii Europene sau a Guvernului României
Pentru informaţii detaliate despre celelalte programe cofinanţate de Uniunea Europeană, vă invităm să vizitaţi www.fonduri-ue.ro